04
May
10

New York bomb plot suspect says acted alone

NEWS
New York bomb plot suspect says acted alone

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

U.S. prosecutors have filed terrorism charges against Faisal Shahzad, a Pakistani-American accused of planting a car bomb in New York’s Times Square.

The 10-page criminal complaint on Tuesday accuses Shahzad, 30, of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction to kill people in the crowded centre of New York on Saturday.

He was also slapped with four other charges – attempting to kill people in the United States through international terrorism, carrying a destructive device, transporting explosives and attempting to destroy a building.

The criminal complaint detailed elements of the investigation against Shahzad, who was captured on Sunday as he tried to fly out of New York to Dubai.

The document said that Shahzad admitted receiving training in bomb-making in Pakistan’s unruly Waziristan region, a key hub for Taliban and al-Qaeda militants.

Shahzad, a naturalised U .S. citizen, flew back to the United States on February 3 on a one-way ticket, leaving his wife behind in Pakistan.

The complaint said that Shahzad told immigration authorities he had spent five months in Pakistan visiting his parents and that he would planned to stay at a motel in Connecticut as he found work.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, speaking earlier at a news conference in Washington, said that Shahzad had been questioned on his return to the United States as he had set off a trigger for additional screening.

The criminal complaint said that Shahzad bought the Nissan Pathfinder, which he would later use in the car bomb, after finding an advertisement on the internet.

Shahzad met the seller at a supermarket parking lot in Connecticut on April 24. The Pakistani-American arrived in an Isuzu Rodeo with tinted windows and paid the $1300 in 100 dollar bills, declining to do paperwork for the transaction.

Investigators later helped identify Shahzad through a sketch artist.

The criminal complaint said that Shahzad carried a pre-paid cellular telephone and that he was receiving regular phone calls from Pakistan when completing the purchase of the Pathfinder.

He also telephoned a store in Pennsylvania that sold M-88 fireworks, one of the explosives in the failed car bomb, the complaint said.

Shahzad left a key to his Connecticut home in the Pathfinder, the complaint said, adding that investigators found bomb-making equipment when they searched it.

The criminal complaint said that Shahzad drove a different car from Times Square to John F. Kennedy International Airport – and told investigators he had a gun inside it.

Attorney General Eric Holder on the Times Square Investigation

Earlier this evening, Faisal Shahzad was arrested in connection with the attempted car bombing in New York on Saturday. Mr. Shahzad, an American citizen, was taken into custody at JFK Airport in New York as he attempted to board a flight to Dubai.

Since this plot was first uncovered on Saturday night, the FBI, prosecutors and intelligence lawyers in the National Security Division of the Justice Department and the U.S. Attorneys Offices in Manhattan and Connecticut, along with the NYPD have worked night and day to find out who was responsible for what would have been a deadly attack had it been successful. Over the course of the day today, we have gathered significant additional evidence that led to tonight’s arrest, which was made by agents from Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and Border Protection.

This investigation is ongoing, as are our attempts to gather useful intelligence, and we continue to pursue a number of leads. But it’s clear that the intent behind this terrorist act was to kill Americans.

FBI agents are working with their state and local counterparts in New York, Connecticut and other jurisdictions to gather evidence and intelligence related to this case. We are also coordinating with other members of the President’s national security team to ensure we use every resource available to the United States to bring anyone responsible to justice.

We continue to gather leads in this investigation, and it’s important that the American people remain vigilant. The vehicle in Times Square was first noticed on Saturday by a citizen who reported it to authorities, and, as always, any American who notices suspicious activity should report it to the appropriate law enforcement agencies.

This investigation is ongoing, it is multi-faceted, and it is aggressive. As we move forward, we will focus on not just holding those responsible for it accountable, but also on obtaining any intelligence about terrorist organizations overseas.

Because of the fast-moving nature of this investigation, I am not able to make any further information public at this time. But the American people should know that we are deploying every resource available, and we will not rest until we have brought everyone responsible to justice.

• Source(s): Department of Justice
Share

Advertisements

0 Responses to “New York bomb plot suspect says acted alone”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Calendar

May 2010
M T W T F S S
« Apr   Jun »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  

Archives

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 3 other followers

© Copyright 2010 Dominic Stoughton. All Rights reserved.

Dominic Stoughton's Blog

%d bloggers like this: