Archive for June 20th, 2010

20
Jun
10

The Most Important Job

NEWS
The Most Important Job

The smallest moments can have the biggest impact on a child’s life. Take time to be a dad today. Happy Father’s Day.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Today President Obama delivered this father’s day message:

Good afternoon,

As the father of two young daughters, I know that being a father is one of the most important jobs any man can have.

My own father left my family when I was two years old. I was raised by a heroic mother and wonderful grandparents who provided the support, discipline and love that helped me get to where I am today, but I still felt the weight of that absence throughout my childhood. It’s something that leaves a hole no government can fill. Studies show that children who grow up without their fathers around are more likely to drop out of high school, go to jail, or become teen fathers themselves.

And while no government program can fill the role that fathers play for our children, what we can do is try to support fathers who are willing to step up and fulfill their responsibilities as parents, partners and providers. That’s why last year I started a nationwide dialogue on fatherhood to tackle the challenge of father absence head on.

In Chicago, the Department of Health and Human Services held a forum with community leaders, fatherhood experts and everyday dads to discuss the importance of responsible fatherhood support programs. In New Hampshire, Secretary of Education Duncan explored the linkages between father absence and educational attainment in children. In Atlanta, Attorney General Holder spoke with fathers in the criminal justice system about ways local reentry organizations, domestic violence groups and fatherhood programs can join together to support ex-offenders and incarcerated individuals who want to be closer to their families and children.

Now we’re taking this to the next level. Tomorrow, I’ll make an announcement about the next phase of our efforts to help fathers fulfill their responsibilities as parents – The President’s Fatherhood and Mentoring Initiative. You can learn more at www.fatherhood.gov.

This Father’s Day – I’m thankful for the opportunity to be a dad to two wonderful daughters. And I’m thankful for all the wonderful fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers and friends who are doing their best to make a difference in the lives of a child.

Happy Father’s Day.

Sincerely,

President Barack Obama

• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
• Source(s): The White House
Share

20
Jun
10

Rahm Emanuel to Yachting BP CEO: Stay out of PR

NEWS
Rahm Emanuel to Yachting BP CEO: Stay out of PR

Sunday, June 20, 2010

The White House has ratcheted up its condemnation of how BP is handling the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster, complaining bitterly that it has had to push the oil giant to do more – and move more quickly – at every step of the crisis.

White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel also attacked BP chief executive Tony Hayward, calling his attendance at a yacht race on Saturday ‘part of a long line of PR gaffes and mistakes’.

‘A lot of things that they had to be pushed to do, and pushed to do faster,’ said Emanuel in an interview with ABC television’s This Week show on Sunday.

He said BP had to be forced to drill two relief wells, not just one; it had to be forced to increase the rate at which it was capturing oil flowing into the Gulf; and it had to be forced to establish a $20 billion escrow account to pay off claims.

Over the past week, the British energy giant has called in more ships and equipment from other locations, announced that it was ahead of schedule in drilling the relief wells, and said it would significantly boost the capture of oil leaking from its busted well.

But Emanuel credited U.S. administration pressure for obtaining those gains.

‘They had a system in place, not extensive enough. Not fast enough,’ he said. ‘So we’ve made them go from 25,000 to 50,000 barrels by the end of this month. And we think by mid-July force – basically making them pick up their game – they can get to 90 percent,’ he said.

He sidestepped a question over whether the administration is confident the relief wells, seen as the only remaining way to permanently plug the leak, would be ready by August.

The chief of staff’s comments were the sharpest expression yet of the rising tension between BP and the administration of President Barack Obama, who last week strong-armed the company’s chiefs at a White House meeting to establish the escrow fund.

Emanuel portrayed the relationship as one in which the administration has had to push a reluctant corporate partner at every step since the April 20 explosion that destroyed a BP-leased deepwater rig, killed 11 workers and unleashed the spill.

But he reserved his most scathing remarks for Hayward, who was removed from day to day oversight of BP’s disaster response last week and was photographed on Saturday attending a yacht race off the Isle of Wight.

‘Well, to quote Tony Hayward, he has got his life back, he would say,’ Emanuel said of the outing at the yacht race, alluding to an earlier remark by Hayward that incensed political Washington.

‘I think we can all conclude that Tony Hayward is not going to have a second career in PR consulting,’ he said.

‘Now this is a mistake and it’s a big mistake, like others he has done in the sense when he said himself, he has got his life back.

Emanuel added: ‘What’s more important is, do the people down there in that area have their life back? Do they have their livelihood back?’
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
• Source(s): ABC / This Week / ABC News Senior White House Correspondent Jake Tapper
Share

20
Jun
10

Egypt oil spill threatens marine life

NEWS
Egypt oil spill threatens marine life

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Earth••• An oil spill off the Egyptian Red Sea coast of Hurghada threatening to damage marine life in the area has prompted environmental agencies to demand tighter regulation of offshore oil platforms.

Large quantities of oil have appeared in recent days around the resorts of Hurghada, which draw millions of tourists who come to dive or snorkle, according to the Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Agency (HEPCA).

‘It started four or five days ago and the companies responsible didn’t notify anyone. It is catastrophic,’ HEPCA managing director Amr Ali said.

The spill was caused by leakage from an offshore oil platform north of Hurghada and has polluted protected areas and showed up on tourist beach resorts.

‘The companies have said they will pay damages, but it is the environmental damage that we are concerned about,’ Ali said, declining to name the companies for legal reasons.

‘We will take all measures, including legal, to make sure this does not happen again,’ he said.

HEPCA’s warning comes amid ongoing efforts to contain the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico which has damaged fragile ecosystems along the U.S. south coast and halted the region’s multibillion-dollar fishing industry.

HEPCA, a non-governmental organisation based in Hurghada, has been working for the protection of natural resources in the Red Sea.

Egypt’s environment and tourism ministries said the oil spill was contained and measures were being taken to ‘deal with the pollution caused by the spill’, the official MENA news agency reported.

Authorities protective of the lucrative tourism industry were eager to resolve the matter quickly. Environment Minister Maged George and Petroleum Minister Sameh Fahmy visited the area of the spill on Saturday, but HEPCA said it was too little too late.

‘Visits won’t help. We would like to see a clearer plan of action on the ground,’ Ali said.

‘We would also like to see more stringent standards imposed on these offshore platforms to ensure natural areas are protected,’ he said.
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
• Source(s): Middle East News Agency (MENA)
• The Middle East News Agency was established on 15 December 1955. MENA is now one of strongest regional news agencies and the biggest Arab and African agency as it rated 11th on the list of international news agencies (according to UNESCO’s report).
Share

20
Jun
10

Al-Qaeda Lays Out Conditions for Peace With U.S.

NEWS
Al-Qaeda Lays Out Conditions for Peace With U.S.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

••• Al-Qaeda’s U.S.-born spokesman has warned President Barack Obama the militant group may launch new attacks that would kill more Americans than previous ones.

In a taunting, 24-minute message that dwelled on Obama’s setbacks, including the loss of the Massachusetts Senate seat to the Republicans, Adam Gadahn set out al-Qaeda’s conditions for peace with the US, including cutting support for Israel and withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan.

Gadahn said if you compared the number of dead Muslims ‘with the relatively small number of Americans we have killed so far, it becomes crystal-clear that we haven’t even begun to even the score,’ he said, dressed in a white robe and turban.

‘That’s why next time, we might not show the restraint and self-control we have shown up until now,’ he said. Even if al-Qaeda was defeated, ‘hundreds of millions of Muslims’ would still fight the U.S., he added.

Al-Qaeda offered the same conditions for an end to hostilities to then President George W. Bush in 2007, including the release of all Muslim prisoners and cutting off aid to Middle East governments.

Gadahn’s statement was notable for its mocking tone, in which he described Obama as ‘a devious, evasive and serpentine American president with a Muslim name’, and seemed to delight in his setbacks.

‘You’re no longer the popular man you once were, a year ago or so,’ he crowed, ascribing his drop in popularity to the escalation of the U.S. wars abroad.

At the time of Obama’s election, many analysts said al-Qaeda was worried his race and Muslim family connections would make him more appealing to Muslims and Arabs angry at Bush’s foreign policy.

In its statements since his election, al-Qaeda has taken pains to show the continuity between Obama’s foreign policy and that of his predecessor.

Gadahn is wanted by the FBI since 2004 with a $1 million reward for information leading to his arrest or conviction. He is also known as Azzam al-Amriki, Arabic for the American.
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
Share

20
Jun
10

BP chief escapes oil spill for Cowes yacht race

NEWS
BP chief escapes oil spill for Cowes yacht race

Sunday, June 20, 2010

In what one environmentalist has described as ‘yet another public relations disaster’ for embattled energy giant BP, CEO Tony Hayward has taken time off to attend a glitzy yacht race around England’s Isle of Wight.
As social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook lit up with outrage, BP spokespeople rushed to defend Hayward, who has drawn withering criticism as the public face of BP’s halting efforts to stop the worst oil spill in U.S. history.
Spokeswoman Sheila Williams said Hayward took a break from overseeing BP efforts to stem the undersea gusher in Gulf of Mexico so he could watch his boat ‘Bob’ participate in the J P Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race on Saturday. The 16-metre yacht was made by the Annapolis, Maryland-based boat builder Farr Yacht Design.

The annual one-day race is one of the world’s largest, attracting more than 1700 boats and 16,000 sailors as world-renowned yachtsmen compete with wealthy amateurs in the 50-nautical mile course around the island.
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
• Source(s): British Petroleum PLC and Sky News / BSkyB / News Corporation
Share

20
Jun
10

Man Guns Down Stepdaughter’s Family at Del Taco, then Kills Himself

NEWS
Man Guns Down Stepdaughter’s Family at Del Taco, then Kills Himself

Sunday, June 20, 2010

NEWS••• A man has walked into a Southern California fast food restaurant and shot his stepdaughter and her family of four as they ate lunch together, killing the woman’s husband and eight-year-old son before fatally shooting himself, police says.

The 56-year-old man arrived at the Del Taco restaurant in San Bernardino on a bike at about 01:14 pm PDT on Saturday, walked over to a table and opened fire at his 29-year-old stepdaughter, her 33-year-old husband (Alex Trujillo), their two sons, ages 5 and 6 (Adrian), police spokesman Lt. Jarrod Burguan said.
The woman’s husband was declared dead at the restaurant and the eight-year-old was declared dead at a hospital, San Bernardino Fire Department spokesman Steve Tracey said.

The woman and the six-year-old boy were hospitalized in critical condition, Tracey said. The names of the victims and the shooter weren’t released.
Police said several other people were in the restaurant, but the gunman clearly walked in seeking the four victims. They said the gunman had a long and violent criminal record, but did not give further details.

Owners of nearby businesses said horrified patrons streamed out of the restaurant after the shots were fired.

‘I saw some people yelling and all of a sudden I heard ‘boom, boom, boom, boom’,’ Jorge Garcia, who works at a recycling trailer in the same parking lot as the restaurant, told the Riverside Press-Enterprise. ‘I saw two employees run out of the employee door and then I saw eight or 10 people run out of the restaurant and across the street.’
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
• Source(s): KTLA – TV
Share




Calendar

June 2010
M T W T F S S
« May   Jul »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  

Archives

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 2 other followers

© Copyright 2010 Dominic Stoughton. All Rights reserved.

Dominic Stoughton's Blog