Posts Tagged ‘Entertainment

08
Aug
10

First 3D Porn movie being shot in Hong Kong

NEWS
First 3D Porn movie being shot in Hong Kong

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Entertainment••• A group of Hong Kong filmmakers have started shooting what they claim will be the world’s first 3D pornographic film, a report said on Sunday.

The $3.2 million 3-D Sex and Zen: Extreme Ecstasy, set for release in May, has already generated interest in a host of Asian film markets, as well as Europe and the U.S., the Sunday Morning Post reported.
Loosely based on a piece of classical Chinese erotic literature, The Carnal Prayer Mat, the movie will star Japanese adult actresses Yukiko Suo and Saori Hara, the Post said.

The film chronicles the story of a young man who, after being introduced to the erotic world of a duke, realises his ex-wife is the love of his life and features ‘orgies, swinging and some very graphic sex scenes’, the paper said.
Producer Stephen Shiu acknowledged that censors would likely block the movie’s screening in mainland China, a key market for Hong Kong filmmakers.

‘(But) we are almost closing deals with some markets including Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia and some pay TV channels in Hong Kong,’ Shiu told the paper.

Italian director Tinto Brass has announced he would produce a 3D remake of his 1979 erotic film Caligula, while Hustler plans to release a pornographic spoof of 3D science fiction film Avatar, the top-grossing movie of all time which has earned about $2.7 billion worldwide since its release.
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
Share

05
Aug
10

Rupert Murdoch says Apple’s iPad is a ‘game-changer’ for news media

NEWS
Rupert Murdoch says Apple’s iPad is a ‘game-changer’ for news media

Thursday, August 05, 2010

••• Global media chief Rupert Murdoch says Apple’s iPad will be a ‘game changer’ for newspapers.

The chairman and chief executive of News Corporation said the iPad would allow publishers to attract new readers to their mastheads.

‘It’s a real game changer in the presentation of news,’ Mr. Murdoch said on Thursday during a conference call for the company’s full year profit results.

‘We will have young people reading newspapers. We will have different looking types of newspapers.’

News Corp owns newspapers in the U.S., U.K., Australia and elsewhere.

Mr. Murdoch said he expected to see hundreds of millions of these devices around the world.

‘There will be all sorts of things we can do with them,’ Mr. Murdoch said.

‘As they develop technologically, we have got to to develop our methods of presentation of news.’

News Corp chief operating officer Chase Carey said the iPad ‘really starts to deliver on the promise of multimedia’ for the first time.

In terms of charging for online content, The Times and Sunday Times newspapers in the U.K. started slugging users $1.59 (£1) a day, or $3.18 (£2) a week, to access their content online from the start of July.

Mr. Murdoch said there had been a positive response, but declined to say how many people had paid for subscriptions.

‘We have had a very encouraging number of people subscribing at a good price,’ he said.

‘But we think we are on the right strategy there and we think it’s going well.’

Mr. Murdoch also flagged changes to News Corp’s social networking portal MySpace, which he said was going through a major overhaul under a new management team.

‘It will look very, very different in a few months to what it’s looked for the last few years,’ Mr Murdoch said.

‘We are going to see it out for some time yet.’
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
• Source(s): News Corporation
Share

04
Aug
10

News Corp. Posts $875 Million Profit as Ad Sales Rise

NEWS
News Corp. Posts $875 Million Profit as Ad Sales Rise

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

••• Media and entertainment giant News Corp. reported, Wednesday, that it has swung to profit in the fiscal fourth quarter on the back of strong performance from its television networks division which posted impressive ad sales.

News Corp. said its net profit in June quarter was $875 million or $0.33 per share as against loss of $203 million or $0.08 per share in the year ago period.

The company said its revenue moved up 5.7 percent to $8.11 billion.

Analysts, on average, had expected News Corp. to report profit of $0.20 per share on revenue on $7.87 billion.

However, operating profit, or sales minus the cost of goods sold and administrative expenses, slipped 1.7 percent year-on-year in June quarter to $932 million from $948 million.

The media conglomerate said its earnings were driven by strong performance put up by its television networks division, which accounted for more than half of its operating income.

Profits at domestic channels surged by 30 percent while international channels improved 40 percent. Overall, operating profit at cable television networks division, which include channels such as Fox News Channel and FX, surged 31 percent to $563 million on the back of advertising revenue which jumped 11 percent. The division also saw double-digit growth in revenue from fees paid by cable, satellite and fiber video providers.

Operating profit at News Corp.’s broadcast television division also surged 13 percent to $113 million on improved ad sales offsetting higher programming expenses at the company’s national broadcast network – Fox Broadcasting.

The group’s filmed entertainment division also did well but could not beat third quarter performance. Operating income in June quarter dropped 32 percent year-on-year to $137 million. In March quarter, profit stood at $497 million. At the time of announcing third quarter earnings, News Corp. had warned that one should not expect stellar performance from this division in the fourth quarter, largely due to an expected year-over-year decline in the film business due to the timing of releases.

The newspapers and information services division, which include the Wall Street Journal, Barron’s, MarketWatch and Dow Jones, also reported 20 percent surge in profit to $115 million on higher ad revenue, though it was below Street estimates.

The company’s digital media division, which include social networking site MySpace, however, disappointed, reporting an operating loss of $174 million in the June quarter on lower search and advertising revenue. News Corp. said MySpace is set for a “major overhaul.”

News Corp.’s satellite TV division also disappointed, reporting a 37 percent slide in operating income to $97 million on the back of continued weakness at Sky Italia.

To reduce dependence on the economically sensitive advertisement-based revenue, News Corp. said it is beefing up its portfolio of subscription-based assets. In June, it said it has made a bid for the 61 percent stake of pay-TV operator British Sky Broadcasting Group Plc (BSkyB) it doesn’t already own.

“The opportunity for us to expand the scale of our franchises is significant, including through taking advantage of the continual technological advances that will broaden the reach of our core content and distribution businesses,” News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch said in a statement.

The company’s full-year results were more impressive.

News Corp. said its net profit in fiscal year 2010 was $2.5 billion, helped primarily by blockbuster movie “Avatar.” DVD sales of other films like “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs,” “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” and “Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian” also bumped up its profits. In the prior year, News Corp. incurred a net loss of $3.4 billion, which included a one-time pre-tax impairment and other charges of $9.2 billion.

“These results underscore just how well positioned we are – fiscally, operationally and strategically – for further growth across all of our markets,” Murdoch said.

Shares of News Corp., which owns Dow Jones, Wall Street Journal, New York Post, MySpace and 20th Century Fox among other things, closed up 1.61 percent at $13.85. Following the financial results announcement, the company’s shares were up 3.25 percent in the after-market hours.
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
• Source(s): News Corporation
Share

30
Jul
10

Ellen DeGeneres Out at ‘American Idol,’ Jennifer Lopez Could Replace Her

NEWS
‘Ellen DeGeneres Out at ‘American Idol,’ Jennifer Lopez Could Replace Her

Ellen DeGeneres’ Exit From ‘American Idol’ Divides Fans
‘She makes the show a lot better, and I don’t think she should leave,’ one fan says.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Entertainment

••• Ellen DeGeneres is leaving American Idol after just one season as a judge.

‘A couple months ago, I let Fox and the American Idol producers know that this didn’t feel like the right fit for me,’ DeGeneres said in a statement released to The Hollywood Reporter.

‘I told them I wouldn’t leave them in a bind and that I would hold off on doing anything until they were able to figure out where they wanted to take the panel next.
‘It was a difficult decision to make, but my work schedule became more than I bargained for. I also realised this season that while I love discovering, supporting and nurturing young talent, it was hard for me to judge people and sometimes hurt their feelings.

‘I loved the experience working on Idol and I am very grateful for the year I had. I am a huge fan of the show and will continue to be.’
The move means there are now two vacancies on the hit show’s judging panel for the 10th season, which returns in January.

Fox has yet to announce a replacement for Simon Cowell, who left at the end of last season to start a new talent show for the network.

With American Idol facing ratings erosion, DeGeneres’s exit gives Fox the chance to make a fresh start with a revamped judging panel.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Fox has been looking to shake up the Idol format including possibly ditching its current judging panel altogether.

Meanwhile, Jennifer Lopez is poised to take DeGeneres’ place, according to multiple reports.
• » American Idol, Season 10 » Judges: Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez, Steven Tyler » Presenter: Ryan Seacrest
• Source(s): The Hollywood Reporter & Fox / News Corporation
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
Share

06
Jul
10

‘Big budget’ porn film shot in London hospital

NEWS
‘Big budget’ porn film shot in London hospital

Hospital ‘used for porn film shoot’

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Entertainment••• A ‘big budget’ porn movie was shot in a London hospital that hired out one of its wards to a film company, it has emerged.

The movie also ended up generating ‘substantial income’ for the hospital, an MP revealed.

Speaking in the House of Commons on Monday, Tory MP Penny Mordaunt said: ‘When I was director of Kensington and Chelsea Council, I discovered that one of our local hospitals was hiring out one of its closed – but fully equipped wards – to a film company to use as a film set.
‘To add insult to injury, the movie was a pornographic one. Although I cannot claim to have seen the final picture – as I understand, these things are no longer claimable on parliamentary expenses – it was a big-budget affair and generated substantial income for the hospital.

‘But apart from cheering up a few of the in-patients, it cannot be said to be contributing to the objectives of the primary care trust (PCT),’ she said, referring to the trusts that manage primary care health services in England.
Mordaunt, who is MP for Portsmouth North, did not name the hospital during the debate on improving transparency in government accounting.

A statement issued by NHS Kensington and Chelsea said: ‘We can confirm this incident occurred some time prior to 2002 under a predecessor organisation’s management and prior to the formation of PCTs.’
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
Share

20
Jun
10

BP chief escapes oil spill for Cowes yacht race

NEWS
BP chief escapes oil spill for Cowes yacht race

Sunday, June 20, 2010

In what one environmentalist has described as ‘yet another public relations disaster’ for embattled energy giant BP, CEO Tony Hayward has taken time off to attend a glitzy yacht race around England’s Isle of Wight.
As social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook lit up with outrage, BP spokespeople rushed to defend Hayward, who has drawn withering criticism as the public face of BP’s halting efforts to stop the worst oil spill in U.S. history.
Spokeswoman Sheila Williams said Hayward took a break from overseeing BP efforts to stem the undersea gusher in Gulf of Mexico so he could watch his boat ‘Bob’ participate in the J P Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race on Saturday. The 16-metre yacht was made by the Annapolis, Maryland-based boat builder Farr Yacht Design.

The annual one-day race is one of the world’s largest, attracting more than 1700 boats and 16,000 sailors as world-renowned yachtsmen compete with wealthy amateurs in the 50-nautical mile course around the island.
• Latest News & Headlines » Home «
• Source(s): British Petroleum PLC and Sky News / BSkyB / News Corporation
Share




Calendar

September 2019
M T W T F S S
« Aug    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  

Archives

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 2 other followers

© Copyright 2010 Dominic Stoughton. All Rights reserved.

Dominic Stoughton's Blog